My technique coming into the class with the gum arabic/photo transfers was adequate, but I knew I could probably get better results. Julia's instruction on technique was just what I needed to learn to mix the inks and lay down a light, but effective layer of ink on my paper. I am much happier with the results after taking this class. I learned it helps to be patient though (not my strong suit). I am also really happy to have learned the solar plate method. It's a bit expensive, but basically, you are creating a plate that is akin to an etching. It can be inked up the same way an etching can, and printed from the plate.
Today, I made a solar plate of a photo of a rose I took in Victoria at the Empress Hotel a few weeks ago. I printed it on it's own, and then with a layer of yellow chine colle, which also looked nice. Here I am checking the print against the plate:
and here is the chine colle print. More tools in my bag of tricks! Yay.
No comments:
Post a Comment