




I spent another few days up in Bellingham over the longish New Year weekend. I find so much inspiring to photograph up there. It seems the combination of Canada, the light (or dreary not-light), the sea harbor aspects and the fact that it is an older area (lots of overhead power lines, old buildings etc.) make it very inspirational for me.
Though I do not consider myself a photographer, I am starting to develop a better eye for composition and choice of subjects. I realized that I've shot almost 7,500 photos on my Canon 40D now. I've had it for about 18 months. I know that number of photos is squat compared to many professional photographers who shoot that many in about a week, but not being "pro," I come from that somewhat scarce place of film photography mentality - limited shots (24 or 36 to the roll). I'm convinced that is one big reason I never got too far with film - the limit of 24 or 36 just paralyzed me.
So, I still forget that my limit is much higher based on the size of the card. I tend to shoot quickly when I see something that seems worthy, but if I have the time, I frame it, and think carefully before shooting. This may stem from the laziness of going through too many photos, post shoot, and my inability to throw things away. Ironic that now that I am nearly limit-less in my shots, I'm so much more careful with what I choose to shoot. Well, there is a balance in there somewhere.
Whatever the reason(s), I feel more confident and am happy to see some better shots coming out of my partnership with my camera. Happy New Year and here's to me getting at least one really good shot every week.
No comments:
Post a Comment