Yesterday it was raining so hard during the middle of the day. I couldn't believe it was coming down with that volume. I was in South San Francisco, and decided to see if I could find a shop that could put my new headlight lamps in. I had high beams, but no low beams. I bought the halogen bulbs at NAPA auto parts that morning and read up on how to install them on the web, but when I tried to get the lamp assembly out, I couldn't see in the dark and cold, rainy day well enough to do it myself.
I pulled in to an auto shop and asked the owner if he could do the job. He said yes and told me the fee would be $50, based on the VW repair guidelines. I said okay and when he found both headlights were out, he told me it was something the dealer should look at - implying that it was an electrical problem rather than just needing the bulbs replaced. I explained that they didn't go out at the same time. He returned to my car in the shop.
I took some photos of the rain coming down some spouts while waiting, and he returned to say that he needed to take out the battery and some other engine components to get the head light assemblies out.I sighed, and probably rolled my eyes, because I had read the guidelines on the web and also know that companies don't design cars so that you have to do $200 of labor to put in a $5 component. Harumph.
He went back for another try and I took more photos of my reflection in the mag wheels in his shop waiting room, and another of a sports car race on the television.

I waited, and he returned, saying he wanted the special key for the wheel locks. I cocked my head, and probably rolled my eyes again, and he said it was so he could remove the wheels and fender assemblies. Honestly - did he really believe that all that deconstruction would be required just to fix the low beams?!I felt like laying into him, but I kept my cool and just asked him to return my keys so I could go to the dealer, as he suggested. After several more minutes he returned with my keys and refused any payment for the time. But, no headlights. By then, the rain had let up and I was able to get on the freeway. I went to San Mateo and found a shop that looked promising.
The technician came out to the waiting area and told me he wasn't comfortable doing the work because he was worried he might break part of the assembly. That shop called another, specializing in European auto repair, and I drove down the street. They were waiting for me and ushered me in the shop. The tech took out the assemblies, replaced the bulbs and refused any payment. I was on my way in less than 20 minutes.
Why couldn't the first guy say Can't? So funny, how people are...and I'm glad I now have legal headlights.
No comments:
Post a Comment