Great Minds Think Alike
Encaustic
13x15
I had a weekend full of art - but the kind of art that involves talking about it, hanging out with like-minded people, hearing lectures about it, shopping for the tools to do it... and feeling a sense over several weeks now (years, really) that I don't know what I'm doing and that I will never find my oeurve.Encaustic
13x15
Hearing Tony Scherman speak at IEA starting something shifting in me. I'm still not sure what, but I did come home from the conference feeling like I could sit with encaustic again. I had such a great experience in the first workshop I took with Eileen Goldenberg a couple of years ago. She's such a fun and inspiring instructor and she makes you MOVE! Then, I came home and couldn't replicate any of it. My work was gloppy and uninspiring. It looked like a kindergartner had been let loose with modeling clay of the worst kind.
I went to the IEA conference last year and got reinspired and came home and tried it again - another run at the elusive mistress that is wax. Some success, but it was not sustainable. I know - you are thinking "to get good at something, really master it takes Practice, Practice, Practice." And that is true and I have not been putting in the time, but still expect results.
So again, reinspired by this year's IEA and a visit to Daniella Woolf's open studio wherein I saw a brief but wonderful demonstration of her doing encaustic that is more the type of encaustic I would like to be doing - mixed media collaging. I came home and made these two pieces.
I'm feeling more competence. And that is good.
I also saw a ribbon on my piece (triptych) through the window of the closed gallery at Pacific Art League. That didn't hurt. I think I won something....



No comments:
Post a Comment