
It's really cold out right now. About 42F here and I swear it might snow on the beach - at the Pacific Ocean! So working in my garage studio is not much of an option. The concrete floor is too cold and hard, and even though initially I feel like I can deal with the temperature out there, after about 30 minutes, I am cold through to my core and it takes about 3 hours to warm back up.
So, working inside with hot wax is a good thing to do this time of year. Tonight, I opened boxes from Encaustikos (wax pellets and damar - and get this, the store is maybe 1 mile from where one of my daughters lives in Rochester NY!) and pigments from R&F Paints.
I made the base wax using the 80:20 formula in the electric griddle. I melted chunks of the damar resin first, and strained it through the cheesecloth. Then, I added the wax pellets and made a big quantity of the base wax, which I then poured into the aluminum loaf pans.
The dog will be happy with her four helpings of chopped clams for breakfast tomorrow - I just wanted the cans. Into each, I poured about half full of the wax base, then melted some pigment into each one: chartreuse, quinacridone red (hot pink - my signature color!), white and aquamarine blue.
It was like cooking, but art!
No comments:
Post a Comment